Gridley-Case cottages, 138-140 Main Street.
Photo by Brooke Martin.
Welcome to the Web site of the Farmington Historical Society.
Founded in 1954, the historical society is
dedicated to preserving the town's history
and educating the public about its
significance. We sponsor exhibits, lectures
and other events, and we provide tours of
the Freedom Trail's Underground Railroad and
The society celebrates the diversity of all
those who have contributed to the town's
Tunxis Indians who established the first
settlement by the Farmington River; the
English settlers who traded with the
Indians; the fugitive slaves who sought
freedom on the
Underground Railroad; the
who gave them shelter; the 38 Africans who
lived here in 1841 after gaining their
freedom in the Amistad case; the
entrepreneurs who constructed the Farmington
Canal in the early 1880s; and the merchants
and traders who built the stately homes lining Main
Street in the historic village.
The town is what it is today
because of educators like Sarah Porter, who
started Miss Porter's School for girls in
1843; architects such as Theodate Pope, a
student of Porter's who built the home
that's now the
Hill-Stead Museum; and
collectors like Alfred Pope—one of the first
Americans to collect the Impressionist
paintings of Monet, Manet, Degas and
Whistler—and Wilmarth Sheldon Lewis, who
Lewis Walpole Library.
Farmington has flourished through the
generations because of the work of
businesspeople who promoted commerce and
brought industries to town; doctors, who led the fight against
smallpox at Hospital Rock and worked as pioneers in the field
of psychiatry; immigrants, who labored
in the mills in Unionville; farmers, whose
homesteads have been passed down through as
many as nine generations; town leaders; ministers;
artists; and many others.
The town has also played an important part
in the nation's history in times of war.
From King Philip's Indian War in 1675 to the
present-day war in Iraq, Farmington has
provided soldiers and support. In the town's
"Memento Mori" cemetery,
gravestones inscribed with the names of
twelve men who fought in the French and
Indian War, thirty-four
veteran of both the French and Indian
War and the American Revolution, and one Civil War soldier. A monument in
Riverside Cemetery includes the names of
twenty-one Civil War soldiers who fought at
Gettysburg, Antietam, Fort Wagner and
Like the river flowing through the town,
Farmington's history is always near at hand,
seldom far from view, linking past and present. The Historical Society,
located at 138 Main Street, is committed to
studying, celebrating and preserving that
View our calendar of events and programs.
If you would like to learn
more about the society, become a member or volunteer, please
contact us. Volunteers are needed to help
with hospitality, lead walking tours of the
Freedom Trail, work as docents at the Old
Stone Schoolhouse, plan events and programs, research and write
articles for our newsletter, raise funds,
write grants, and tend the cottage garden
at the society's headquarters.
Quilt at Main Library.
Photo by Nicholas Schaus.
was held on July 3 at the Gridley-Case Cottage, 138 Main
Street, Farmington. The event included
patriotic music, a birthday cake with
beverages, a presentation of medallions to
local veterans, and an exhibit of July
Fourth drawings by fourth-graders.
140 and 138 Main Street.
Alan Coykendall presented
a program titled "Classic Elements in
Farmington Architecture: Contributions from
Greece, Rome, the Renaissance and Colonial
Craftsmen” on April 14 at
the Barney Library in
The former Union Hotel, circa 1830, now
the "Main" building at Miss Porter's School.
The free presentation was sponsored by the
Farmington Historical Society.
The historical society held its annual meeting
on June 12 at 170 Garden Street in Farmington.
170 Garden Street. Brooke Martin
The society elected board members and
also gave tours of
Riverside Cemetery, using a new brochure
created by Joanne Lawson. The brochure
includes a map and information about many of
the well-known people interred there.
historical society hosted a luncheon
titled Farmington Women Honoring
Farmington Women on March 25 at
the Farmington Country Club.
The event, which benefited the society,
honored twenty-seven women for their contributions
in business, politics, the arts, education,
health care, civic groups and philanthropy.
The organizing committee for Farmington
Women Honoring Farmington
Women: Diane Nelson, Ginny Wolf, Marcie Shepard (chairwoman),
Kathleen DonAroma, Ann Newbury and Nina Hayes.
Photo by Lauren Jenkelunas.
Awards were presented to: Sally Norris,
Nancy Nickerson, Alice Clover Pinney, Pat
Robotham, Katherine Derr Barney, Bobbie
Emery, Wendy Burki, Katherine Windsor,
Martha Clark, Ednalou Ballard, Peggy Bliss,
M. I. Cake, Diana Petro, Lois Wadsworth,
Diane Cloud, Nina Hayes, Paula Ray, Barbara
Brenneman, Marcie Shepard, Joan Leach, Amy
Spirito, Sara Brown, Sue Sturtevant, Kay
Hunter, Sharon Wright, Nancy Walker and
Amy Spirito, Sue Sturtevant, Lois
Wadsworth, Nancy Walker
and Katherine Windsor. Photo by Lauren
thirty-three women received the award: Stacia Balazy,
Mary Barnes, Julia Brandegee, Isabel
Carrington, Martha Cheshire, Betty
Coykendall, Barbara Donahue, Jane Driscoll,
Hope Emery, Jean Filer, Helen Gray, Lydia
Bulkeley Hewes, Ann Howard, Mabel Hurlburt,
Jean Johnson, Barbara LaRochelle, Joanne
Lawson, Patty LeBouthillier, Harriet Barney
Lidgerwood, Isabel Lyon, May Nevius, Marilyn
Ostreicher, Jan Owens, Erin Pac, Jean
Pickens, Sarah Porter, Judy Reardon, Mary
Grace Reed, Theodate Pope Riddle, Bea
Stockwell, Arline Whitaker, Helen Cutler
Winter and Peg Yung.
former president of the
society, wearing "Honored
FarmingtonWoman” medallion in 2010.
International Festival of Arts & Ideas presented a poetry reading by Jarita Davis
on April 16 at the
First Church of Christ, 75 Main Street,
Davis read poetry she wrote in response
to stories about Underground Railroad and
Amistad sites in Farmington. The
International Festival of Arts & Ideas (www.artidea.org)
collaborated with cultural organizations
and heritage sites throughout the state,
including the Farmington Historical Society,
to explore the Connecticut Freedom Trail
this spring through poetry readings and
other events (www.artidea.org/event_list.php).
poetry reading, the historical society gave
a walking tour of
Railroad and Amistad sites in
Farmington. The tour included the
Congregational Church, Union Hall, the
Samuel Deming house, the Deming store, Mrs.
Freeman’s house, the Noah Porter house, the
"Memento Mori" cemetery, the Austin Williams
house, the Mendi dormitory, and Riverside
Jarita Davis is a
poet and fiction writer who earned a BA in
classics from Brown University and an MA and
a PhD in creative writing from the
University of Louisiana. She was the writer
in residence at the Nantucket Historical
Association and has received fellowships
from the Mellon Mayes program, Cave Canem,
and Hedgebrook. In addition, she was awarded
a Woodrow Wilson Travel Research Grant, a
Neiheisel Phi Beta Kappa Award, and a grant
from the Louisiana Division of the Arts. Her
work has appeared in the Southwestern
Review, Historic Nantucket, Cave Canem
Anthologies, Crab Orchard Review, and
Plainsongs and Tuesday; An Art Project.
For more information visit
Nzinga’s Daughters presented
"Tales of the
through Song & Prose" on February 13 at Miss Porter’s
School in Farmington.
The historical society held its annual New Year’s Gala
on January 9, 2011,
at the Gridley-Case Cottage, 138 Main
Dr. Charles Leach gave a talk about
artists Robert Brandegee and Charles
Foster. The society’s newly restored
painting by Brandegee,
Approaching Storm (1890), was on
display. Brandegee, who lived at 36 High
Street in Farmington, taught art at Miss
Porter’s School from 1880 to 1903.
Dr. Charles Leach discusses the painting
Approaching Storm, by Robert Brandegee.
of the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford repaired and cleaned the damaged painting
and added a hundred-year-old Louisiana
hardwood frame. A donation from the Alison &
Nathaniel Howe Fund helped make the project
possible. Ann Arcari, former president
of the historical society, led the project
to restore the painting.
The historical society conducted a number of
in 2010, celebrating Farmington's connection
to the freed Amistad captives and the town's
role in providing a safe haven for fugitive
slaves on the Under-ground Railroad in the
Freedom Trail marker and lantern, 2 Mill Lane
On June 1, a group of sixty fifth-grade
students from the University of Hartford
Magnet School spent a full day in
Farmington, visiting Amistad sites and the
Hill-Stead Museum. This field trip was
sponsored by Dr. Peter and Kathy Jannuzzi of
The society celebrated Freedom Trail month
in September by offering a tour to the
public on the 25th. Then on October 5, a
literary group from Australia came to town
for the tour on their way from Boston to New
York City. Later in the month, a small group
of women-friends took the tour. In a note of
appreciation, the organizer wrote, "I am so
blessed to have relocated to this wonderful
community.... Now ... I can appreciate the
history of Farmington and some of the
struggles and successes of those who lived
here in the past."
The society is grateful to its loyal guides:
Peggy Bliss, Judy Cowell, Joanne Lawson,
Charles Leach, and Ann Reed. And it thanks
Jean Johnson and Ann Arcari for providing
the introductions at the start of the tours
in the First Church of Christ on Main
For information about tours, call the
society at (860) 678-1645.
Stylish scarecrows, friendly ghosts, and a
few ghastly ghouls helped children celebrate
the season at the historical society’s
annual Scarecrow Contest and Fall
Festival on October 17 at the
Road in Farmington.
A scarecrow waits for the results
in the Scarecrow Contest.
The family event featured nineteenth-century
games and activities, food, and
old-fashioned fun. Children won awards for
their homemade scarecrows, in categories
such as the ugliest, scariest, most stylish,
Activities included face painting (by Wendy
Burki), coloring (Peggy Bliss), bobbing for
donuts (May Nevius), and making ghosts
(Patti Williams). Wanda the Witch (Jane
Maciel) from the Farmington Library read
scary stories. Mary and Ed Carpenter and
Dave Borg gave away bags of popcorn made in
the Lions Club's old-fashioned popcorn
machine. Heather Kelsey manned the
A popular activity enjoyed by young and old
was lantern making (led by Joanne Lawson),
and children made designs by hammering nails
into tin cans donated by Orca of New
Britain. Madigans of Unionville provided
workbenches for the activities. The
culmination of the day’s events was a
pumpkin for each family donated by Leo
Grouten of Grouten Farms. Thanks to Bob Dube
and Bob Swingle for their help in making the
event a great success.
The Old Stone Schoolhouse is open for tours
each summer on Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m.
during July and August.
As part of Freedom Trail Month in
Connecticut, Constance Baker Motley,
who grew up in New Haven and became a
prominent advocate for civil rights and
school desegregation, was inducted into the
Freedom Trail on September 25.
Representing the Farmington Historical
Society, Joanne Lawson, a former president
of the society, attended the induction
ceremony, which included the dedication of a
Freedom Trail marker at the corner of Day
and Edgewood streets in New Haven, near
Motley’s childhood home at 8 Garden Street.
The Connecticut Freedom Trail includes 120
sites associated with the heritage of
African Americans and their struggle for
freedom, including about a dozen
Motley, born in New Haven in 1921, was the
ninth of twelve children. Her father, who
had emigrated with her mother from Nevis in
the Caribbean, worked as a waiter in the
restaurant at Yale University’s Skull and
Bones society. Motley graduated from
Hillhouse High School, and with help from a
local philanthropist she earned a law degree
from Columbia University. Motley worked for
the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
from 1945–1965, and she helped write briefs
for Brown v. Board of Education, the
1954 U.S. Supreme Court case that outlawed
school segregation. In 1961 she became the
first African-American woman to argue before
the U.S. Supreme Court. In Meredith v.
Fair, she won for James Meredith the
right to be the first black student to
attend the University of Mississippi.
In 1964, Motley became the first black woman
elected to the New York Senate. In 1966,
President Lyndon Johnson appointed her to
the federal court. She was the first
African-American judge in the U.S. District
Court for the Southern District of New York,
and she later became chief judge. Motley
worked in the court until her death in 2005.
Part of the program in September was a panel
of four African-American female judges from
Connecticut. Three had met Motley, and all
said they were aided and inspired by her
trailblazing career of firsts. Motley’s son,
Joel Motley, also attended the event. “She
was a great student of history, [and] a
great believer in the power of history,” he
told the New Haven Independent.
Motley’s autobiography, Equal Justice
Under Law, is available at the
In July 2010, the historical society presented an exhibit of the patriotic
artwork of Gary Kollberg—collages
featuring American icons such as eagles,
Stars and Stripes, Uncle Sam, and the Statue
collage by Gary Kollberg.
Kollberg, who has studied at
the Art Institute of Chicago and the Parsons
School of Design, has said that the events
of 9/11 “crystallized people’s support for
their country,” and led him to take his art
in a new direction. He began creating works
celebrating Americans' patriotism and
showing his "appreciation for those
individuals who made the ultimate
collage by Gary Kollberg.
exhibit was organized by Marcie Shepard, the
historical society's special events
A “Patriotic Sing-Along”
for the community was held on July 4th
at 138 Main Street.
Image courtesy of
historical society held its annual
meeting on June 13 at 5 Church Street in
Farmington. Jean Pickens, president of the
society, presented the slate of officers and
board members for election.
also included a talk by Gay Ayers on the
history of 5 Church Street, which was once
part of the property at 87 Main Street and
served as a barn and carriage house until
the early 1900s. The house at 87 Main was
built in 1815 for Major Timothy Cowles and
is often referred to as TimCo.
gives a talk at the annual meeting
of the historical society on June 13, 2010.
grandmother Marguerite Chase Boas Holcombe
lived in TimCo, shared stories gleaned from
a collection of approximately 1,500 letters
that Marguerite wrote between 1898 and 1954.
Historical Society, at
138 Main Street,
was open in February for an exhibit
showcasing a dollhouse replica of a nineteenth-century home
on Route 6 in Farmington.
gave a talk on a dollhouse replica of an
of an eighteenth-century Farmington home at
historical society's New Year's gala on
Photo by Brooke Martin.
formerly known as the William Crampton
House, is a good example of the Greek
Revival style. The Crampton family owned the
house until 1887, when it was sold to George
A. Beckwith of Southington for $2,300.
Beckwith sold the property in 1915 to Edward
T. Smith. Since then, it has changed owners
several times. In 1964, William E. and Edith
T. King purchased the property. An addition
housed William’s optical business and
Edith’s antiques shop. At that time, the
property was referred to as “King’s Little
of the "William Crampton House."
In 1972, Edith
commissioned Gary McLeod of Wethersfield to
build the dollhouse replica. Edith then
furnished it with homemade items. Gina King,
Edith’s granddaughter, inherited the
dollhouse in 1995. In 2009, Gina, who
lives in Massachusetts, contacted the
historical society and arranged to donate
the dollhouse. At a recent New Year’s gala
held for members of the society, Gina and
her father, Steve King, gave a talk about the
history of the dollhouse.
dollhouse. Photo by Brooke Martin.
society hosted an exhibit for Black
History Month in February at its
headquarters at 138 Main Street. The exhibit
included posters and information on the
story. The freed Amistad captives
lived in Farmington in 1841 before returning
to their homeland in what is now Sierra
Freedom Trail marker and lantern, 2 Mill Lane.
Photo by Brooke Martin.
The exhibit also
included information on the
Railroad in Farmington, where a number
of prominent abolitionists lived. The book
Speaking for Ourselves, about the
history of African Americans in Farmington,
is available for sale from the historical
society. This book was written in 1998 as a
project of the historical society under the
direction of Barbara Donahue.
historical society met for its annual New
Year's gala on January 10, 2010, at the
Gridley-Case cottage at 138 Main Street.
Jean Pickens, president of the historical
members at the New Year's gala on January
event, Gina King and her father, Steve King,
gave a talk on a dollhouse that is a replica
of their nineteenth-century family home on
Route 6 in Farmington. The dollhouse, which
the King family donated to the society, was
on display during the gala.
Gina King, with the dollhouse they donated
to the historical Society. Photo by Brooke
Marguerite “Peg” Yung, a
longtime member of the historical society’s
board of directors,
passed away on December 5, 2009. Peg, a
retired teacher, was named Educator of the
Year by the Connecticut Department of
Education in 1985. In 2007 she received the
Exchange Club of Farmington’s Golden Deeds
Award for her outstanding service to the
historical society and the community and her
"selfless dedication to preserving and
promoting the town's history."
Peg was a leader of many
historical society projects, including the
restoration of the Gridley-Case cottages and
Old Stone Schoolhouse; development of tours
of local Amistad and Underground
Railroad sites; work with the Freedom Trail
Foundation; and programs related to the
restoration of the Amistad ship and
its history. As part of her work with the
Amistad Committee, Peg traveled to
Sierra Leone, birthplace of the Amistad
Africans, and met with that nation's
president. She was also active in volunteer
projects sponsored by the First Church of
Christ Congregational in Farmington.
Peg's dedication, knowledge,
enthusiasm and energy will be sorely missed.
was elected the new president of the
Farmington Historical Society at the
society's annual meeting on June 14,
Jean is the former vice president of the
society and the former president of the
Friends of the Hill-Stead Museum. The
meeting was held at the new Hartford Medical Society
Library at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.
president of the historical society, left,
talks with librarian Jenny
Miglus at the Hartford Medical Society
Library at the UConn Health Center.
also elected new board members and officers,
including Joanne Lawson as vice president
and Ann Newbury as secretary. Edward Leary
was reelected as treasurer of the society. A
complete list of the board members is
guests met in the Robert Massey
Auditorium for a short business meeting and
refreshments. Guest speaker Ralph Arcari
gave a talk about the Hartford Medical
Society’s connection to Farmington, and
librarian Jenny Miglus gave tours of
the library, which was previously located on
Scarborough Street in Hartford.
A program called “Clockmakers from
Farmington and Unionville” was
presented on March 22, 2009, at Miss Porter’s
School. Mary Jane Dapkus, assistant curator at the
American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol,
gave a talk about 19th-century shelf clock
makers and manufacturing companies in town.
Shelf clock owned by the historical society.
Made by John Hunt, ca. 1830. Photo
by Jean Pickens.
Shelf clocks from the Farmington
Historical Society and the Unionville Museum
were on display at the lecture.
Mary Jane Dapkus, giving a talk at Miss
about 19th-century shelf clock makers in
In her talk, Dapkus told the story of Eli Terry,
who designed the first “pillar and scroll”
clock in 1816. The clock, which could stand
on a shelf, was smaller and more affordable than traditional
tall clocks, or “grandfather clocks.” Terry, who began mass-producing clocks
with interchangeable parts, is considered
one of the fathers of America’s industrial
Eli Terry. Photo from
Dapkus is currently writing a series of
articles on antique clocks with Snowden
Taylor of Tappen, N.Y., an author, lecturer
and internationally recognized authority on
clocks. At the museum, Dapkus works under
the guidance of horologist Chris Bailey, one
of the leading scholars and historians of
the clock-making industry in America.
Horology is the art or science of measuring
The Historical Society reprinted
Farmington in Connecticut, by
Christopher P. Bickford, in 2008.
Farmington in Connecticut,
by Christopher Bickford.
comprehensive history of the town, first
published in 1982, can be ordered by
contacting the society's president, Jean
or by writing to the Farmington
Historical Society, P.O. Box 1645,
Farmington, CT 06034. The cost is $35, plus $5 for
shipping. Please include your name and
address and a check payable to the
Farmington Historical Society.
On November 23, 2008, Connecticut
municipal historians met at a convocation
at the Naugatuck Historical Society and
Museum. Twenty-two towns were represented,
including Farmington. Because Jean Johnson,
Farmington’s town historian, was unable to
attend the meeting, historical society board
members Peg Yung and Jean Pickens went in
Walter Woodward, Connecticut state
historian, spoke briefly, encouraging towns
to maintain the vitality of their local
history for the benefit of longtime
residents and newcomers. Keynote speaker
Bill Hosley, director of the New Haven
Museum and Historical Society, expanded upon
this theme, stating that “history is the
gateway to a sense of community.” He added
that an awareness of local history fosters a
sense of pride and self-esteem in
FHS board member Peg Yung, center, with Bill
and Walter Woodward at the Connecticut
Convocation Nov. 23 in Naugatuck. Photo by
Hosley emphasized the importance of
including local history in our school
curriculums. He recalled how as a ten-year-old boy, he was enchanted by a visit to
Sturbridge Village and a subsequent walk on
the Freedom Trail in Boston. Such
“empirical” learning experiences, he said,
can be much more meaningful to students than
merely reading about history. Hosley went on
to say that all people like history; it just
depends upon the “packaging.” The popularity
of documentaries by Ken Burns and the
Biography Channel are good examples.
As one of the original colonies,
Connecticut has been a part of every aspect
of the American story, Hosley said. Through
his travels around the state, he has
observed that all local historical
organizations have something unique and
important to contribute and share.
At the conclusion of the meeting in
Naugatuck, those attending agreed that an
annual convocation was a good way for town
historians to share ideas and resources.
Farmington’s town historian assists with
genealogical searches and directs people to
resources where other historical questions
can be answered. This often includes
contacting Ann Arcari, president of the
Farmington Historical Society and Farmington
Room librarian at the Main Library. The town
is also required to notify the town
historian if a house or building with
historical value is being considered for
demolition. The historian then passes this
information on to the appropriate
An exhibit of
nineteenth-century clothing and linens
was held in June 2008. The Gridley-Case cottage
came alive with items from the 1800s. A
table was set in the dining room
overlooking the restored garden; several
pieces of period furniture filled the parlor;
the small bedroom held a youngster’s bed
and children’s items; and the kitchen
contained a variety of household goods, from
laundry products and tools to a display of
hats and capes. Mannequins dressed in period
clothing were arranged throughout the
Nineteenth-century dress, 138 Main Street.
Photo by Brooke Martin.
The exhibit committee
included: Wendy Burki, Jean Pickens, Lois
Wadsworth and Peg Yung.
The Historical Society’s Gridley-Case
garden at 138 Main Street was one of the six homes and two museums
featured in the Friends
of the Farmington Library Kitchens & Gardens
Tour on June 14, 2008.
Garden at Gridley-Case cottage,
Photo by Brooke Martin.
The eighteenth-century formal garden was
designed by Sarah C. la Cour, a landscape
designer from Amherst, Mass. The garden
reflects the style and plantings typical of
New England. The design incorporates
boxwood-edged brick and bluestone walks and
This spring, as part of a volunteer UConn
master gardener project, annuals, herbs and
perennials were added. The Treadwell
list of 18th-century plantings was used
as a guide. John Treadwell documented
commonly found vegetables, herbs, and flowers
planted in Farmington gardens. Plantings in
1999 included: geranium striatum, blue
Campanula ,and autumn joy in the center
circle; white phlox, Stella d'Oro lilies,
red bee balm, blue columbine, and Russian
sage in the quadrants; and lilacs, red bud,
coreopsis, and hostas above the stone wall.
Side garden, 138 Main Street.
Photo by Brooke Martin.
From the Treadwell list, the society added pinks, daffodils, tulips, violas, blackberry
lily, poppies, hollyhocks, sweet william,
sweet pea, morning glories, and marigolds.
Herbs to be added to the garden include:
parsley, coriander, pepper, savory, sweet
marjoram, thyme, rue, hyssop, lemon balm,
chive, tansy, and wormwood. These and lamb's
ear, iris, oregano, yellow yarrow, germander,
and lavender were generously donated by
the Connecticut Unit of the Herb Society of
America. We welcome volunteers who would
like to work in the garden, as well as
donations of perennials. The goal is to have
the garden in bloom from April to October.
The Library Gardens Tour also included
the garden and
orchid room of advanced master gardener
Sandy Myhalik. The orchid room contains more
than 100 varieties of tropical orchids.
society's membership committee is
compiling a list of members' e-mail
addresses. If you would like to be
informed via e-mail about the society's
upcoming programs and events (including this
year's annual meeting and party), please
send your name, street address and e-mail
Nonmembers interested in Farmington's
history are encouraged to write to the same
e-mail address for
more information about the society.
A talk on the life and personality of Theodore Roosevelt
was presented by
Gordon Williams on March 30, 2008, at Miss Porter's School.
Williams is a lecturer and retired history teacher from Trumbull, CT.
Williams began his talk by discussing Teddy
Roosevelt's connection to Farmington. Roosevelt's sister, Anna
Roosevelt Cowles, lived on Main Street in
Farmington, in the house called "Oldgate."
She was the wife of Admiral William
Sheffield Cowles, a naval officer and
diplomat. Roosevelt visited the
town and his sister's home several times,
including when he was president, on October 22,
1901. That visit included a carriage ride,
lunch with U.S. senators, inspection of an
oak tree planted on the town green in memory
of President William McKinley, and a hike up
Theodore Roosevelt visits "Oldgate" in
Farmington in Connecticut, by Christopher P. Bickford.
After visiting the
Hill-Stead in 1911, the former president
wrote: "I spent a thoroughly happy
thirty-six hours at Farmington, and the
visit was satisfactory in every way.... The
Popes house seemed to me almost the ideal of
what an American country house should be."
From left: Ann Arcari, FHS president, 2008;
Evan Cowles, great-grandson of Anna
Jean Pickens, FHS vice president in 2008.
Historical letters concerning the
Amistad Africans, written in 1841, can
now be viewed at the
Web site. Ann Arcari, president of the
Historical Society, and other members of the
society transcribed the letters, which
include one written by
Cinque, the leader of the Mendians.
by Nathaniel Jocelyn, 1839
The letters shed light on the
lives of the Africans when they lived in
Farmington from March to November of 1841 and on the thoughts of
abolitionists who helped them win their
The Farmington Historical Society, P.O. Box 1645, Farmington, CT 06034
Photos by Brooke E. Martin. Copyright ©
Site graphics, Copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
Copying any portion of this site without
permission is expressly forbidden.
Web site manager.
send inquiries about permission to the